Maximum number of Log files in logging application block

Topics: Logging Application Block
Oct 26, 2007 at 4:58 AM
Hi All,
I am using Enterprise logging in my application.I want to create a maximum number of log files in my application.Once it reaches that many number it should rollover.

E.g-Suppose i want to create 10 log files.After creating 10n log files it should rollover the 1st file and replace that file.Is it possible in Enterprise library 3.1

Waiting for your reply.
Oct 26, 2007 at 12:35 PM
The current base implementation of the logging listeners do not do this. It sounds like you should derive off the flat file listener, and reuse a number of features of the rolling file implementation. This would be a good candidate for Enterprise Library Contrib (http://www.codeplex.com/entlibcontrib/) or even submit it to the EL team to be pushed into the next release. I have seen this type of logging requirements before.

I presume it could be either size or time based. Even if you do not actually want to build the solution your self, it probably makes sense to specify the way you would like it to work - so if anyone has a desire to implement a similar concept your requirements are known.

So in summary the base EL doesnt support this, but you can code it yourself (which is one of the primary design goals of EL).

Gareth