How can I tell if a log message was written anywhere?

Topics: Logging Application Block
Oct 15, 2007 at 6:14 PM
Is there a way to programmatically tell if a log message was written to a sink? Basically, I need to know if a log message was written to ANY sink, even of the config is messed up...
Oct 24, 2007 at 2:12 PM
Edited Oct 24, 2007 at 2:13 PM
Garrick, did you ever get an answer? I need to guarantee that a message has been sent to at least one sink.
Oct 24, 2007 at 10:37 PM
No answer so far, nor could I find anything on my own via 'googling' or testing a sample app. I suppose one could look in the library source code, modify it and throw an exception if no sinks were hit... But we are too busy for this, so for now we have to live with this limitation, which I think is a pretty important one. For us it is a 'really would like to know' if a log's been written to a sink, but in some environments that may be a requirement. Either way, if someone gets an answer / knows how to do that, please let me post the response...
Oct 25, 2007 at 3:58 AM
Hi,

There is no direct way to know whether an entry was written somewhere. The closest you can get is looking at the performance counters but those are rate counters, not number counters.

Fernando
Oct 25, 2007 at 7:32 AM
Is there any forum where we can find out if this functionality is on the roadmap?