Application Block Factory option missing

Topics: Building and extending application blocks, General discussion
Oct 6, 2007 at 3:53 PM
Hi, I am using VS 2005 Team Suite and installed entlib 3.1 (along with GAT/GAX 1.3) , Service factory etc. On the Guidance Packages option I dont have the Application Block Factory template . I have tried running devenv /installvstemplates but it doesnt produce any results. I have run the source installer and the options for the factory and the strong naming guidance were selected ..

Any ideas? I just watched tom hollanders videos on the factory and want to start trying out these.
Thanks
Benjy
Oct 7, 2007 at 9:11 AM
Do you have .NET Framework 3.0 installed? This is also a prerequisite for the block factory.

Tom
Oct 8, 2007 at 6:41 PM
Hi Tom,
I think i just installed .NET 3.0 it but possibly after entlib 3.1 so maybe thats why its not showing up. However I have the web service factory refresh and that works fine. (and i have had that installed for a long time, although i just created some skeleton solutions and didnt try anything with them... maybe i would have got some run time errors without .NET 3.0).

I'll try reinstalling entlib later today and get back....

btw, i sent an email to you in response to your post on P&P in the real world. Hope u got it!!
thanks,
benjy

Oct 9, 2007 at 12:48 PM
Hi,

Was the ABF feature available when you installed EntLib? If it was, please post the contents of your file C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Recipe Framework\RecipeFramework.xml (if you're using XP the location is different but the file is the same).

Regards,
Fernando
Oct 9, 2007 at 9:38 PM
Hi Fernando and Tom,
I have reinstalled entlib 3.1 now. This time when reinstalling it showed me that the Application Block Factory option had a big red X mark against it I selected the option to install and it proceeded to install the block factory for me. It now appears inside Visual Studio.

Fernando,
(a) yes, when i installed entlib 3.1 it showed me ABF, Strong naming guidance etc and i was able to select all of them to be installed, but as it turned out ABF didnt get installed.
I dont have such a file on my machine. The closest match is Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.xml which is in the Common7\ IDE \ PublicAssemblies folder (i am using XP)

Even now i dont see the strong naming guidance package anywhere but i dont particularly mind since i am using the strong named binaries shipped with 3.1.

By the way, if i write my own custom blocks, would i have to use the strong name package to sign them or can i just sign my own block with my own key and will it still cooperate with other blocks even if they have their different strong name keys? (ie) i will continue to reference objectbuilder, common and so on.

Thanks,
Benjy
Oct 11, 2007 at 1:45 PM
Hi,

You can find the file at C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Recipe Framework\RecipeFramework.xml in XP.

You don't need ot sign using the guidance package; it is just a convenience that really helps when signing the whole Enterprise Library.

Fernando
Oct 11, 2007 at 6:00 PM
Hi Fernando,
Thanks. I think I made a mistake earlier and confused the source installer and the main installer. Prior to installing .NET 3.0, I had 3.1 installed but when i couldnt find the App Block option i re-ran the entlib installer and in the source installer it showed me the option for the Application Block Factory and strong name package. Of course, that put the code in C:\EntlibSrc but didnt install the block factory.

But once i had installed .NET 3.0, the main entlib installer showed the Application Block Factory with the X mark etc as i mentioned above and now its working fine.

Do you still need me to post the contents of the RecipeFramework file?

Thanks,
benjy
Oct 12, 2007 at 3:24 PM
Hi,

Do you still need me to post the contents of the RecipeFramework file?

Not if it's working ;)

Regards,
Fernando