Deploying Enterprise Library 3.1

Topics: Data Access Application Block, Enterprise Library Core, Exception Handling Application Block, General discussion, Logging Application Block
Sep 11, 2007 at 3:43 PM
I figured since the library now contains Strong Named Assemblies I would create my installer with the new assemblies. I setup my installer to install the enterprise library components in the GAC. However when I run the application I receive the error ""The requested Performance Counter is not a custom counter, it has to be initialized as ReadOnly.".
I cannot understand why this is happening since I would believe the counters should be installed during the installation to the GAC through my installer. I know the counters are not installed since if I install the library with the Enterprise Library installer and run the installutil.bat file everything works just fine.
What can I do to have my installer manage this instead of having to install the library itself on each node?

Thanks,
Dave
Sep 11, 2007 at 8:49 PM
Hi,

Running InstallUtil and installing in the GAC are different processes. You will have to run installutil from your installer, probably using custom actions in your MSI.
Here's a post showing how to do this using WiX http://www.dalun.com/wix/12.07.2006.htm. I haven't used this approach, but it looks reasonable.

Fernando