Is there any relationship between settings.designer.vb and app.config?

Topics: Data Access Application Block
Sep 8, 2007 at 12:13 AM
If I add/delete/modify connection string in Enterprise Library Configuraion Tool, are such changes supposed to reflect in settings.designer.vb? After I did something in Enterprise Library Configuration Tool and then went to project properties, a message saying something like app.config value will be added and one of the connection strings defined in Enterprise Library Configuration was added to the settings automatically.
Sep 10, 2007 at 12:24 PM
Hi,

Yes. The Enterprise Library uses the connection strings stored in the standard <connectionStrings> section, and AFAIK VB.NET's settings include such connection strings.

Fernando
Sep 11, 2007 at 10:20 PM
Hi Fernando,

I have just removed the connection strings in both Enterprise Library Configuration Tool (ELCT) and project's settings. Then I added some connection strings in ELCT and there is no change to settings.designer.vb. I don't get the message anymore.

Peter
Sep 11, 2007 at 10:55 PM
The connection strings will be added to the settings if they match a certain naming convention, i.e. they have the project's My namespace as a prefix in their names.

Fernando
Sep 12, 2007 at 9:42 PM
Hi Fernando,

Now, I can duplicate it if I use the root namespace of the project + My.MySettings as the prefix in the connection strings' names.

Peter