Is there any relationship between settings.designer.vb and app.config?

Topics: Data Access Application Block
Sep 8, 2007 at 1:13 AM
If I add/delete/modify connection string in Enterprise Library Configuraion Tool, are such changes supposed to reflect in settings.designer.vb? After I did something in Enterprise Library Configuration Tool and then went to project properties, a message saying something like app.config value will be added and one of the connection strings defined in Enterprise Library Configuration was added to the settings automatically.
Sep 10, 2007 at 1:24 PM
Hi,

Yes. The Enterprise Library uses the connection strings stored in the standard <connectionStrings> section, and AFAIK VB.NET's settings include such connection strings.

Fernando
Sep 11, 2007 at 11:20 PM
Hi Fernando,

I have just removed the connection strings in both Enterprise Library Configuration Tool (ELCT) and project's settings. Then I added some connection strings in ELCT and there is no change to settings.designer.vb. I don't get the message anymore.

Peter
Sep 11, 2007 at 11:55 PM
The connection strings will be added to the settings if they match a certain naming convention, i.e. they have the project's My namespace as a prefix in their names.

Fernando
Sep 12, 2007 at 10:42 PM
Hi Fernando,

Now, I can duplicate it if I use the root namespace of the project + My.MySettings as the prefix in the connection strings' names.

Peter