Different Configuration Sources

Topics: Data Access Application Block, General discussion
Sep 7, 2007 at 10:24 PM
I see the following options for new configuration sources after I add Configuration Sources in Enterprise Library Configuration Editor:

File Configuration Source
Manageable ConfigurationSource
System ConfigurationSource

I believe the File Configuration Source is the one to be used if I want to put Enterprise Library configurations in a different file instead of app.config. What are the other 2 options? When one should use those options?

If I understand correctly, the default configuration source is the System Configuration Source which is the Configuration section in app.config.

Sep 10, 2007 at 1:30 PM
Hi,

Your understanding of the FileConfigurationSource is correct. The SystemConfigurationSource reads from the app's configuration file and as you understand is used by default; however if you define other configuration sources you need to explicitly define the SystemConfigurationSource should you want to use the main configuration file.

The manageable configuration source works like the FileConfigurationSource, but it will merge the configuration information with overrides specified using Group Policies. You can learn about this under "Using Group Policy and WMI with Enterprise Library" in the Enterprise Library help.

Regards,
Fernando
Sep 10, 2007 at 7:33 PM
Hi Fernando,

Thanks for the information. I find the "Using Group Policy and WMI with Enterprise Library" by manually browsing the contents of the Enterprise Library - May 2007 in Visual Studio 2005. If I simply use the Search function in Help, no information will be returned from the Enterprise Library Help.

Regards,

Peter