Configuration tool: unable to create new sections

Topics: Enterprise Library Core, General discussion
Sep 7, 2007 at 2:57 AM
I am using the EL configuration tool built from the EL 3.1 source code. When I open up the tool, I right-click in the tree to create a "New Application". Once I do this, I cannot create new config sections underneath that application. If I open up the configuration tool binary that was distributed with EL, it works fine.

Has anyone else experienced this? I thought maybe I messed up the source code... but I re-extracted the code into a fresh directory and immediately built it, only to run into the same problem.

Thanks,
Jason
Sep 7, 2007 at 1:09 PM
Hi Jason,

If by "I cannot create new config sections underneath that application" you mean that you don't get the menu items to create each individual section, then the reason is probably that the blocks' design time assemblies are not available for the tool.

The configuration tool works by scanning its default folder and dynamically loading all the design time assemblies it finds. If there are no such assemblies then the tool will not know about the different sections. How are you running the tool? Are the design time assemblies in the same folder as the tool (these assemblies have a ".Design" suffix in their names).

Fernando
Sep 7, 2007 at 2:48 PM
Yes; when right-clicking on an application in the tree, the "New" and "Rename" menuitems are grayed out. I'd normally expect to see the big list of app blocks.

I do see the .Design assemblies in the same folder. Basically, what I did was I re-extracted the EL source code into a clean folder. I built the source code (using the checkbox on the last step of the installer) and ran the rebuilt config tool from the bin directory that was created. This workflow gives me the problem.

I do see some missing assemblies in my bin folder, compared to the Microsoft-built bin folder (Security.AzRoles, Data.SqlCe, ExceptionHandling.WCF), but all the .Design ones are there...

Thanks...
Jason
Sep 7, 2007 at 3:03 PM
Hi Jason,

How strange. I did the same and got the expected list of sections. Just to be sure, which node are you right-clicking to add the sections? Is it the "Enterprise Library Configuration" or the "Application Configuration? The latter is the right one, and right-clicking the former will show grayed out New and Rename items.

Regards,
Fernando
Sep 7, 2007 at 3:19 PM
Yup... I'm clicking on "Application Configuration". I did compare the functionality of the rebuilt tool to the prebuilt one... the prebuilt works as expected.

But... SUCCESS! I've been futzing with the EL for a while, and now I am finally rebuilding with my own key for production use. I had previously thrown the prebuilt assemblies in a DEVPATH folder (machine.config developerInstallation=true), and that was apparently causing a conflict. I killed all those old assemblies and now it works!

Thanks,
Jason