DAAB QuickStart

Topics: Data Access Application Block
Sep 6, 2007 at 6:51 PM
I am unable to open the Visual Studio DAAB QuickStart solution. The VS solution icon says "unrecognized version".

I am using Visual Studio 2005 Version 8.0.50727.762 with latest SP update.

My computer meets all the requirements to run EntLib projects.

Any help would be appreciated.

sundownr
Sep 6, 2007 at 6:53 PM
Hi,

Open VS 2005 and open the solution from there. There is an unfortunate issue with the packaging process that messes up the solution file encoding, but VS will be able to open the solution.

Fernando
Sep 6, 2007 at 8:23 PM
Thank you Fernando.

sundownr
Sep 6, 2007 at 9:15 PM
I loaded the DAAB QuickStart solution from VS-2005 but still have errors.

"The project file or web has been moved, renamed or is not on you computer".

I then loaded what part would load and found no Common or Data reference libraries.

I did load these reference libraries through the library source code installer prior to opening VS-2005 and rebooted?

Even though the error message says the project file was not loaded it did in fact load and the problem seems to be referencing the Common and Data reference libraries whose PATH's are not listed in the system PATH property (I looked).

I really would like to look at a working version of the DAAB QuickStart solution.

Can I update PATH and if so where are these reference libraries located? Also will updating PATH include library refences for other EntLib sample applications?

Thanks for any help.

sundownr
Sep 6, 2007 at 10:33 PM
Hi,

Did you install the source code when you installed the QuickStarts? The QuickStarts reference the the source code projects, not the binaries.

Fernando
Sep 7, 2007 at 12:24 PM
Fernando

"I did load these reference libraries through the library source code installer prior to opening VS-2005 and rebooted?"

Anyway when the solution loads it does not see these reference library projects.

I am using the April release of EntLib. Is there a newer release?

sundownr
Sep 7, 2007 at 1:42 PM
Hi sundownr,

I did load these reference libraries through the library source code installer prior to opening VS-2005 and rebooted?

I'm sorry I don't really understand what you mean by that, and it looked like a question for which I had no answer.

What I mean is that when you install the quickstarts, they blocks' projects are part of the QuickStarts' solutions and are expected to reside where the source code installer would place them. No action on your side should be necessary for the quick starts' project to reference the libraries, as they would be referencing the library projects, and certainly rebooting should not be necessary.

There is a May release of EntLib, available from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=4c557c63-708f-4280-8f0c-637481c31718, but there should be no difference with the version you're using regarding this particular issue.

Regards,
Fernando
Sep 7, 2007 at 1:51 PM
Fernando

It appears by loading DAAB QuickStart first a seperate directory is created from what is created when you load the reference libraries. In short I ended up with 2 copies of DAAB QuickStart.

When I loaded DAAB QuickStart from the directory created by library source installer everything worked fine.

Sorry for the wild-goose chase.

sundownr
Sep 7, 2007 at 1:56 PM
Hi sundownr,

No problem. I'm glad it's working for you now.

Regards,
Fernando