Common Enterprise library for .NET 1.1 and .NET 2.0

Topics: Building and extending application blocks, Data Access Application Block, Enterprise Library Core
Sep 3, 2007 at 5:43 AM
I'm intersted to use Enterprise instrumentation library for my .NET 1.1 application but its going to be migrated into .NET 2.0 in four months.
So what will be the work around while migrating to .NET 2.0 if i use Enterprise library.
I will use following Blocks
1.Data Application block.
2.Configuration block
3.Common block

Regards,
Chit
Sep 3, 2007 at 2:56 PM
Hi,

The answer depends on the kind of migration you will do. EntLib June 2005 should run on both .NET 1.1 and .NET 2.0 , so if you intend to keep that release no further migration should be necessary. This is of course not the recommended approach, as you wouldn't be using the new features available since EntLib January 2006.

The DAAB's API did change with the January 2006 release, but it hasn't changed much since. The changes to migrate are relatively simple: you need to use ADO.NET 2.0 DbCommand instances instead of EntLib's CommandWrappers, and setting parameters is done through the Database instance, not the CommandWrapper.

Configuration is very different, but unless you plan to manipulate it through code you should be isolated from the change (other than changing the configuration files of course).

Here are some posts about the migration:

Hope this helps,
Fernando