Validation with WebServices

Topics: Validation Application Block
Aug 16, 2007 at 1:23 AM
Just wondering if there is a nice way to use the Validation Application block with web services? My business objects are not accessible to the web tier, so I am unable to hook up ProxyPropertyValidators. Copies of the business entities are exposed in the Web Service, but as there is no dll associated with them, I can't use a config file. I can get back a list of ValidationResults from the App tier, but there seems to be now simple way to relate these results to controls. The only samples I've found using web services actually duplicate the buisiness objects on both the web and app tiers - I don't want to have to do this.

Any thoughts?
Aug 21, 2007 at 11:19 PM
I have a similar question. Our validation rules are stored in SQL. There is a web service that can return the whole DataSet for specific application (the preferred way) or it can return individual validation rules for page, control, etc.
I can see where I can create custom validators for every type of rule, but this would mean that I have to call the web service for every data element. Custom validators look very stateless to me. Is there a way to pass the DataSet object to custom validator and let it navigate and find the rule? Or is there a way to add a cashing block so that the DataSet can be stored in cash?