Which blocks to use?

Topics: Cryptography Application Block, Data Access Application Block, Enterprise Library Core, Exception Handling Application Block, General discussion, Security Application Block, Validation Application Block
Aug 2, 2007 at 8:46 AM
Hi everyone,

I am hoping I could explain my situation and then perhaps people in the know could give me their opinion as to whether they think it might be worth using EntLib, SqlHelper or just ADO.Net functions?

I am building an online shop for my client. The rest of the their site has already been built and is managed via a CMS. I am building the shop as a stand-alone website that uses the same styles, graphics, presentation as the existing site and is simply hyperlinked to from the existing site. I am integrating the shop into an existing database infrastructure in which product, user and order information is stored.

I am building my own payment system which interfaces with Barclays ClearCommerce API to handle payments/verfiication/fraud protection - so security within the shop is very import. Hence I could see some potential for the Cryptography and Security Application Blocks.

Obviously, this site will be data driven in order to display products, store shopping carts, user details etc. Therefore the Data Access Application Block will most definitely be useful.

The other things that I could see my self using is perhaps the Exception Handling Application and perhaps the Caching Application Block. However, I know very little about these blocks and I have only four weeks to complete the project. So i'm not sure if there is value in investing the time to learn about the benefits/drawbacks of the use of EntLib and these components.

I am confident in the use of SqlHelper as it seems quite simple to use.

So i hope i have made my case as to why i would really appreciate some professional advise regarding whether i should use EntLib, SqlHelper or just built-in, as is .Net functions.

It would be great to get as many opinions on this as possible.

Many thanks in advance.