Using entlib 3.1 on .NET 1.1 apps.

Topics: Security Application Block
Jul 18, 2007 at 2:08 PM
Hi there, I got some projects under 1.1 and I want to use the security app block to provide AzMan authorization verification. I can see that I can not use entlib 3.1 with 1.1 apps, but to avoid rewrite our AzMan component (that is very slow) I guess I should write a Web Service on VS2005 Accessing entlib 3.1 and then use this web service on my apps. Does anyone has already needed to do something like this?

See ya!@!

Jul 18, 2007 at 4:03 PM

Why don't you use the June 2005 version of the enterprise library It does work on .NET 1.1, and the AzMan component is available.

Jul 18, 2007 at 4:48 PM
Great Fernando I didn't realize that is possible to use AzMan with June 2005 Ent Lib....

I will work on it...

See ya@!

Jul 18, 2007 at 5:00 PM
Sorry for asking but the june 2005 model is so diferent than the 3.1 model. I really don't know where start to provide AzMan checks thru june 2005. Can you help me?

See ya!@!
Jul 18, 2007 at 7:30 PM

While the implementation has changed, the APIs and the features should have remained fairly similar. Here are some snippets from the Security quickstart, please refer to it for further information.

private IAuthorizationProvider ruleProvider;
this.ruleProvider = AuthorizationFactory.GetAuthorizationProvider("RuleProvider");
bool authorized = this.ruleProvider.Authorize(principal, rule);

The config tool should help you specify the configuration.

Jul 19, 2007 at 11:20 AM
Here I am again!

Sorry but I didn't find anywhere how to set up the config of EntLib June 2005 to Access AzMan, does anyone can help me?? The quickStart apps does not use AzMan...

See ya!@!

Jul 19, 2007 at 11:41 AM

The quick start doesn't use AzMan but the code doesn't reference any other specific authorization implementation. You can use it as a reference to the API.

Regarding the configuration, you can use the EntLib June 2005 version of the tool to author it. Keep in mind that this version of EntLib shipped as source code, so you'll have to build it yourself and make sure all the assemblies, including the azman run and design time, are in the same folder as the configuration tool.
Unfortunately, the BuildLibrary batch file only builds the EnterpriseLibrary.sln file, and the support for AzMan is not included there. You should open the SecurityDesign.sln file, build it and the run the CopyAssemblies batch file and execute the configuration console in the "bin" folder. You should be a ble to properly configure AzMan support as required by the June 2005 version.

Hope this helps,
Jul 19, 2007 at 11:55 AM
Thank you again Fernando...

I'll try this...

See ya!@!
Jun 3, 2008 at 4:11 PM

I have some projects within my solution that must run under .NET 1.1--they are directly accessed by CRM 3.0, which is under .NET 1.1.  Our architecture team recently decided to use EntLib 3.1, so I don't have the option of using EntLib Jue 2005 for those projects.  Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can access .NET 2.0 assemblies from .NET 1.1?  As chila mentioned, I can wrap the EntLib methods in a web service and have the 1.1 code call the web methods, but I was wondering if there are any other options.  If someone has taken the web service approach, were there significant performance issues?