Event log trace listener

Topics: Logging Application Block
Jul 2, 2007 at 1:13 AM
I am using the event log trace listener from within the enterprise library. This seems to work and what I log shows up in the event log. A couple of questions. It seems that the "Message" is getting truncated. What I want to log contains a full stack trace but this doesn't show up in the event log entry. I notice that there is a "Description" in the event log. I was wondering what member in the LogEntry needs to be populated so that the "Description" in the event log is populated. One more question. For a LogEntry there is an array of error messages that seem to get built using a StringBuilder Add function. Where do these added strings go when an event log entry is created.

Thank you.
Jul 2, 2007 at 3:37 PM
Hi,

The description in the event log viewer maps to the result of formatting the log entry, if you're using the FormattedEventLogTraceListener. In that case, the {errorMessages} token will determine the location of the error messages.

Please provide additional information about your configuration to get more precise answers. Btw, the behavior you describe as truncation is really the abrupt end of the description or just missing information? Can you provide a sample?

Fernando