Enterprise Library 3.1 Released

Topics: General discussion
May 23, 2007 at 3:12 PM
Thought I would mention it as the site has not been updated yet, but I am sure it will be-

Enterprise Library 3.1

Regards,

Dave

David Hayden
Microsoft MVP C#
May 23, 2007 at 7:57 PM
I've downloaded it, but not installed it as it doesnt appear to be a side-by-side install. I.e you cant have 3.0 and 3.1 installed on the same machine (at least via the standard MSI installation route).

I presume the strong key is the same, but the version number has been bumped. If someone has installed this can they confirm they come with the PDB files? I dont have a clean machine handy to install onto to have a poke around to see the differences.

Thanks,

Gareth
May 23, 2007 at 10:50 PM
No, 3.1 comes without PDB's but with sources as ussual.
Due to the fact that 3.1 is a bugfix of 3.0 I suppose you can un-install 3.0 library with confidence and install 3.1 just changing version number in all your app/web configs.

-
Thanks, Leonid
May 23, 2007 at 11:30 PM
The installer says "Enterprise Library 3.0 April 2007"

Was this done in a hurry or is it a oversight or is it a standard practice? :)

Sorry guys, couldn't resist.

Such an obvious thing.
May 24, 2007 at 10:41 AM
Btw since Tom left the team this site is already not up-to-date - home page doesn't contain link to 3.1 library for two days. :)

-
Leonid
May 24, 2007 at 9:21 PM
A couple of comments here:

1) We link to the landing page, not directly to the download. The landing pages take a little longer to update than the download pages do.

2) The PDB's aren't included in the package. I will be uploading the PDBs here once the landing page updates.

3) If your installer says "April 2007" then you downloaded the 3.0 release, not the 3.1. If you got it from the 3.1 download page, then the MSDN page is screwed up. I'll go test that now.
May 24, 2007 at 9:26 PM
I just downloaded from the MSDN site, and it is the correct May 2007 MSI. parimels, could you please download again and double check?

Oh, and regarding SxS install, the issue here is really the integrated editor and the guidance packages. These technologies in general don't handle side-by-side installs very well. As a result, we don't support having both 3.0 and 3.1 on the system if you're using the GP's or VSIP package.

That being said, you can certainly have the binaries, source code, and standalone config editor installed for both versions on one box. I'm just not sure why you'd want to. ;-)
May 27, 2007 at 6:25 AM
Hi, are you guys familiar with the problem of configuring the application block with the configuration manager, and when the programs runs I get the exception: "Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging, Version=3.1.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' or one of its dependencies. The located assembly's manifest definition does not match the assembly reference. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131040)".
When I take of the publick token key from thie configuration it works.

Guy Burstein
Jun 4, 2007 at 6:59 AM
Hi,
just a info: exact same error here.
ciao
Volker

bursteg wrote:
Hi, are you guys familiar with the problem of configuring the application block with the configuration manager, and when the programs runs I get the exception: "Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging, Version=3.1.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' or one of its dependencies. The located assembly's manifest definition does not match the assembly reference. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131040)".
When I take of the publick token key from thie configuration it works.

Guy Burstein

Jun 4, 2007 at 8:11 AM
Hi,

Read the solution over here:
http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/bursteg/archive/2007/05/31/Incompatible-Configuration-Assemblies-of-Enterprise-Library.aspx

Enjoy!
Jun 4, 2007 at 12:43 PM
Edited Jun 4, 2007 at 12:46 PM
Hi,

thanks! It has worked. Just at the right moment. I was on my way to Spring.Net again.
But now I'll give EntLib another try.

ciao
Volker

Jun 15, 2007 at 6:23 PM
I am currently using Enterprise Library 2.0 (Jan 2006), by installing the 3.1 version will this now replace the older 2.0 binaries; OR can we develop similtaneously side by side with 2.0 and 3.1

Where does it instll under C:\Program Files\Microsoft Enterprise Library May 2007 or will it replace the older 2.0 version?

Thanks
Jawahar
Jun 19, 2007 at 1:37 PM

jawahar wrote:
I am currently using Enterprise Library 2.0 (Jan 2006), by installing the 3.1 version will this now replace the older 2.0 binaries; OR can we develop similtaneously side by side with 2.0 and 3.1

Where does it instll under C:\Program Files\Microsoft Enterprise Library May 2007 or will it replace the older 2.0 version?

Thanks
Jawahar

They will be installed to different folders and the binaries will not be overwritten.

Fernando