Hello World Application Block not working

Topics: Building and extending application blocks
May 19, 2007 at 11:39 AM
Hi,

I wonder if you could tell me where I can get a copy of "Hello World" application block.

I had a copy which came with CTP but I see you did not add this to final release.

The copy which I have works fine from the client test program, but will not allow the saving of changes to the app.config file. A failure to cast to the correct type from name value collection is the error message

I do not know enough to fix this myself, but I feel that with this example working, I could progress quickly

Many Thanks
Patrick
May 19, 2007 at 10:08 PM
Patrick,

I am unfamiliar with the "Hello World" Application Block.

Tom Hollander has put together a series of Videos using the Application Block Software Factory and has sample code on the one where he creates an Application Block. Check out the videos page: http://www.codeplex.com/entlib/Wiki/View.aspx?title=Videos.

I recommend watching the video and downloading the sample source code.

As for your error message, if you are building an untyped provider, your provider typically needs a constructor that takes a NameValueCollection for ObjectBuilder to pass you data. Although I haven't watched the videos, I bet Tom discusses this.

Regards,

Dave

David Hayden
Microsoft MVP C#
May 21, 2007 at 1:25 AM

Patrickquinn1212 wrote:
Hi,

I wonder if you could tell me where I can get a copy of "Hello World" application block.

I had a copy which came with CTP but I see you did not add this to final release.

The copy which I have works fine from the client test program, but will not allow the saving of changes to the app.config file. A failure to cast to the correct type from name value collection is the error message

I do not know enough to fix this myself, but I feel that with this example working, I could progress quickly

Many Thanks
Patrick

We removed the Hello World app block because it was written very early in the 3.0 dev cycle, and was not maintained. The effort to get all the bug fixes were a lot greater than the overall benefit as an example, so it got cut.

Having said that, look at Tom's videos that David linked to above; it explains a lot of the process quite easily.

-Chris